BARBERA d’ASTI SUPERIORE D.O.C.

In 665, Grimoaldo, the Lombards King, set free the town of Asti from the transalpine
Franks populations who besieged it. He offered them a red wine characterized by intense
colour and persistent bouquet. The victorious Grimoaldo declared that this wine, since it
has been consumed by the Barbarian invaders, needed to be named “Barbera” and has
to be always served, from that day onwards, on the royal table. Altea is also the name of
Franco Cavallero second-daughter. He is one of the company owners.

TYPOLOGY. Red with ageing in wooden barrels.

GRAPES. 100% Barbera.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION. Since ancient times, the Barbera has been the most widespread vine in our territory. It’s a sincere and generous wine, enriched by the ageing in wood. It also has an excellent quality/price balance.

ORGANOLEPTIC DATA. Wine characterized by a genuine bouquet. It reminds chocolate and cherries. The
taste is dry, pleasantly bitter, full-bodied and harmonious. “Altea” is a peferct wine for the entire meal. Ideal with hot appetizers, rice, pasta and every variety of meat.

VINIFICATION AND AGEING. Fermentation in contact with the skins for 10-14 days at a temperature of 28-30° C. Malo-lactic fermentation in stainless steel tanks. 80% of the must is ageing in tonneaux of the capacity of 700 lt. for about 10/12 months. The remaining 20% is ageing in French oak barriques of 225 lt.

GASTRONOMIC MATCH. The Barbera is excellent with an old style, nutritious cuisine, as the one which characterize Piedmont. Ideal with rice, pasta and every variety of meat. Excellent with typical Italian stuffed pasta called “agnolotti”: they can have different stuffing according to the custom and the season. It enhances its qualities on stew, also during the meat cooking.